Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Homecoming lunch


After 10 days of Korean vegetarian food, which is near starvation, I indulged this afternoon. 

1. புளிக்காய்ச்சல் சாதம் (pulikkaichal rice - rice mixed with tamarind sauce)
2. முருங்கைக்காய் and குட்டி வெங்காயம் வத்தக்குழம்பு சாதம் (drum stick and small onion vathakkozhambu rice) Had to do an encore to do justice to today's excellent rendition of this wonderful preparation, complete with fried groundnuts and just the right amount of jaggery. The flavor of the drumsticks complementing the sweetness of the small onions, exploding in my mouth, ambushing my tired taste buds...an absolute killer that snapped me back into life.
3. உருளைக்கிழங்கு கறி (fried potato curry) 
4. கட்டித்தயிர்சாதம் (home made milk curd rice)
5. Lays classic potato chips

This menu was scheduled for yesterday keeping in mind the drumsticks that were drying up fast. It was then postponed by a day to coincide with my return from the trip - an extremely thoughtful and compassionate courtesy extended by the family, given my weakness for v.kozhambu . 

I slid into my most comfortable pair of worn out shorts after a hot shower, sat down on the floor, positioning myself under the ceiling fan, switched on the TV (didn't even care what was on),  and had the above 3-course meal with my hands on my own thattu (plate).  For those who know what I'm talking about, this is heaven. For the rest, believe me, this is heaven. Homecomings seldom get better than this. 

2 comments:

  1. Yes, truly heaven, hope your bliss was much more from Nos 1 to 4, and least from No 5 - keep this post out of bounds for the mfrs of that brand - they might swoop with 'commercial' intentions...

    Hope you find this of some use - http://www.vegetariankorea.org/
    and this
    http://www.myenglandtravel.com/aboutme.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Swarna, hmmm...chips with v.kozhambu as a dip? Not a bad idea. Who knows, it might catch on.

    Thanks for the links. The problem is more about time than location in Korea.

    ReplyDelete