Monday, March 2, 2009

The clue of the defiled library book

Anybody that went through the convent school system must have, at some point during their time spent in a school uniform, come in contact with a Hardy Boys novel. The stories, written by Franklin W. Dixon, chronicle the adventures of the brothers Frank and Joe, always 18 and 17, as  they solved mysteries, with support from their friends the portly Chet Morton (whose sister Iola was Joe's girl friend),  Tony Prito and Biff Hooper. Their father Fenton Hardy was a professional detective and their mother was Laura Hardy and they had a nagging Aunt Gertrude. Illustrated with the riskiest moment of the story on the cover, these  books gave enough proof in favor of judging the book by its cover. Set to a common formula, much like a typical masala movie, the plot would involve a fixed number of thrills, twists and turns and one could be assured of a good read no matter what. As the mystery came to a screeching  halt, the signature closing lines would be something like "...as the relieved mill owner/theater  manager/antique dealer drove off, the boys wondered whether they would get another case to work on. Little  did they know that "The XYZ title" was coming up." At the peak of my addiction, enrolled (at that time) in  a boys school, Enid Blyton was, in my view, for the kids and Nancy Drew was the  lamest amateur detective on earth who could never match up to the exploits of the Hardys. I even steered clear  of the  books in which the brothers teamed up with Ms. Drew. In my eyes, Carolyn Keene was the Hyundai parked next to the Rolls Royce that FWD was.

For some, it was the coolest thing to be seen walking around with a HB novel; a definite way to get the attention of the girls or teachers, an indulgence that would not be frowned upon, may be even appreciated. For some, it  signalled the graduation from the league of Amar Chitra Katha/Tinkle/Champak, giving a sense of having  arrived, of having entered the open seas of paper back novels. For some, it was just following peer  pressure. And to the religiously fanatic, FWD was God, providing them with the keys to doors that would  open into a world of Bayport, friendly police chiefs and moderately evil villains and thus escape from the  nuisances of real life; namely homework and the never ending tests. Some even had the nerve to hurriedly  employ the cool American phrases picked up from these novels atrociously. (Gosh! Naan innikki homework  mudikkala! or Boy! Am I glad innikki Uma miss leave-u!) 

Before the days of satellite television, these books managed to give a slice of American life in their pages. I wouldn't be surprised if these stories sowed the first seeds of U.S of A ambitions in the minds of Indian middle-class students.

More than the thrills of the mystery itself, I was completely captivated by the  lifestyle that these guys enjoyed. They could drive cars (their yellow convertible, although I had little to no idea then about what a convertible was), had a plane (Sam  Radley, their pilot) and a boat Sleuth, go places with friends, had girlfriends and were solving mysteries during their vacations. In comparison, I was sharing a BSA SLR with my brother, our family vehicle was a  Bajaj scooter, I had to convince my parents to go to a movie and nearly every vacation involved a visit to some  temple town. With dark hair and being the elder brother, I identified myself with Frank and my younger brother, equally dark haired, styled himself after the blond Joe. I began reading these just so that I  could expereince vicarious thrills, immersing myself in their incredibly interesting lives and freedom and thus cultivated a voracious appetite for these novels.

After racing through all the titles in our school library and unable to satisfy our cravings, a friend  and I enrolled ourselves at the "Pick and Choose Library" that was conveniently located near the school  and carried the "case files" which were definitely risque and spicier and probably why weren't stocked by  our school. We would maintain a running list of to-read titles, prepare reading schedules and make  elaborate plans of exchanging the books during vacations or extended holidays. On more than one occasion,  we were pulled up by the teacher reading a HB discretely tucked inside the desk during class. In no time, my mother was  totally convinced that Franklin W Dixon was the enemy who had found his way into my sphere of existence  with the sole aim of interrupting my studies. I still remember finishing The Witchmaster's Key in one evening, a record by my reading speeds, over my mom's constant reminders for putting it down and getting  my homework done.  Another of my friends, once even attempted to write a Hardy Boys novel of his own with  a strong Indian flavor which began with the brothers playing a game of, well, cricket in their  "backyard". The ball crosses the "hedge" and gets thrown back with a warning taped to it...

These books provided entertainment at many levels. After satiating the reader with their dose of  excitement, the hardcover ones doubled up as table tennis bats or in some cases, even as a cricket bat in  a game of sponge ball/tt ball cricket within the confines of the classroom. I could play any cricketing  shot convincingly with my very own, seasoned "The Viking Symbol Mystery" bat. They could also come in  handy for a crisp game of book cricket (which deserves a post of its own), especially on days when we  didn't have geography class and hence weren't in possession of the geography text book - the fattest of  the lot. Another book crime I was guilty of was to grab a clean, unmarked book and have the reader go from one page to another with messages like "Flip to page 59" and on page 59, follow that up with a "Good. Now you shath race to page 72" and so on and ending it with a really unimaginative joke. Just as a master painter puts his brush down to stand back and admire his own creation, I would then go through the drill myself to ensure that all was well before returning it to the library. So, in  conclusion, thank you Franklin W Dixon and, to our librarian, if you are reading this, go to page 85! I mean, I'm sorry.

2 comments:

  1. This one is a great post..took me back to my own childhood days..the real pleasure of reading the Hardy boys books was imagining ourselves to be those teen sleuths and vicariously solving mysteries..there was a time when I (quite arbitrarily) decided that Frank Hardy should be armed with a gun and Joe Hardy - being the younger brother, should be armed with a knife..I would take up a toy gun and pretend to be Frank..there was a wonderful library on Avvai Shanmugam road in Chennai called Easwari Lending Library (it still exists and has expanded).
    Thanks for bringing back all those pleasant memories. I am a quite thankful that I had my childhood well before the advent of the internet. A video game is a very tawdry substitute for a book in kindling the imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After weeks of persuasion from my friend, I finally decided to try the Hardy Boys just when I was about to turn 13 and immediately got hooked to it. The very first HB book I read was a 3 in one collection of the first 3 case files. Iola dies in the very first one (Dead on Target). For two full years, I was under the HB spell. We had this small gang of HB fans in my class. We'd each check out a HB book and share them and finish them before the next library hour. It definitely helped that the protagonists were teenage boys and each of us fancied one of them. I had this huge crush on the brainier Frank who was always the one to "figure things out". But charming and witty Joe was usually more popular.

    Completely agree with you that the book gave the first glimpses of the American life and their lifestyle was totally captivating -- the boys, their teen talk, yellow sedan (for a long time I thought sedan was a brand name) and girl friends...

    When I was around 20, I borrowed this HB book called Trapped at Sea, which I remembered as one of the best I had read and re-read it just for old times sake and found it totally predictable and boring. But the real shock came when I learnt a few years ago that Franklin W. Dixon never existed. Nor did Carolyn Keene for that matter. All those books were ghostwritten by a variety of authors. Both series were from the same Stratemeyer syndicate and the characters were probably conceived by the same mind.

    -- Sharada

    ReplyDelete