Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Two good interviews

I enjoyed these two interviews on cricinfo recently. The interviewer, in both instances, was Nagraj Gollapudi. Sensible questions that led to a smooth and coherent exchange, making it a pleasure for the readers.


This wonderful interview brought out the wealth of knowledge that Allan has in the art of fast bowling . A must read for aspiring pacers. And for others too.


It is common knowledge that Sehwag has a simple and no-nonsense approach to the game. This response goes to reconfirm it:

"There is this story about you declining a nightwatchman, where you said you were not an able batsman if you couldn't last 25 balls at the end of the day. Is that true?
It is true. What is the difference between batting at the end of the day or at the start? If you make a mistake you'll get out. So I don't think a batsman really needs a nightwatchman, but it is totally an individual decision. Whenever a captain or coach asked me for a nightwatchman I would say, "No, why? If I can't survive 10 or 20 balls now, then I don't think I'll survive tomorrow morning." I believe that's the best time when you have the opportunity to score runs, when everybody on the field is tired and you can score 20 runs off those 20 balls."

While it is debatable, to the followers of the game, if his appetite for risk could jeopardize the chance of winning/saving a game, it speaks volumes of his philosophy of keeping it simple: if it is there to be hit, it will be hit.


No comments:

Post a Comment