Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Fox speaks out

It was an evening in December 2001 that we first met. It was at a showroom in Chennai. I was there with others. It wasn't quite the love-at-first-sight thingy. He first spent some time with me, doing the getting-to-know routine. His touch was nice and yet I instinctively knew that I wasn't his first and definitely not his last either. But something told me that he wasn't looking for a casual fling. Although he did flirt that night with others, it was only a matter of time before I became his. He was very quick to introduce me to his family. His father initially had some concerns about my qualities and even made discrete enquiries. But Slowelectron had an understanding of who I was. He did well to assure them that I was his type and that we would be fine. But his father cautioned him: "Not unless you find a job!"

He was 30 something at that time and I was 32. Yet, the two of us had many things in common. Both of us believed in a long term relationship. He was a traditionalist and I was conservative and believed in formality. In spite of all the similarities, initially there was clearly a gap between us. I wasn't custom made to meet all his requirements. Moreover, those were early days and it is not a perfect world. But over time, he filled that gap and we became closer and enjoyed each other's company. We used to go out atleast once a week - to the movies, restaurants, parties. Although I wasn't a head turner, people did pay him the occasional compliment on his taste. I've heard people go "A nice pair!".

We soon settled into a routine that was predictable yet fun. I became an integral part of his life, taking part in all his daily life activities. He had a traveling job and took me on many of his trips. Life was good. I attended his family weddings, anniversaries and get togethers. I could hold him in his moments of happiness and grief.

He was caring and took all efforts to keep me comfortable. Although I wasn't exactly needy, I clung on to him whenever we hung out. There was his space, my space and then our space. All three were well defined leaving no room for doubt. He gave me enough time and made sure there was very little between the two of us. We complemented each other.

Alas all good things can't last forever. There comes a stage in a relationship where one outgrows the other leading to compatibility issues. He was a grad. student when we first met and he had grown up since. He found a job that provided him with growth opportunities. And he made use of them. One thing led to another and before long, it was no longer fun.

I had my short comings too. I couldn't change myself to suit his changing needs. Try what I might, I couldn't budge an inch from who I was when we first met. Was I adamant? May be. But somethings just don't change no matter what. I could have cut him some slack, but that just didn't happen. In fact, I tried to be the same through all the tumbles of my life and succeeded.

The sad part was the blame game that ensued. Who was the cause? What led to the situation? Whose fault was it? His family did not like the way he was turning out to be. Yet, they could only do so much. He had clearly changed and the strain was beginning to show. And unfortunately, changes aren't always for the better.

Things got to a point where he started feeling a bit uneasy with me around him. And sadly, there was no room for adjustment. Time was marching and was taking a toll on my appearance as well. At this rate, it was evident that there could be no happy ending to this. It became increasingly clear that we weren't cut from the same cloth.

Finally last week, after 8 years, the curtains came down. We decided to part. It was not a sentimental parting. As I said before, I knew I was not his last. So it was a practical and simple one. Like a change of guard ceremony. He brought in my replacement indicating that it was time for both of us to move on. But even in separation, there was respect and gratitude for each other, for the great times we've had together and for the highs and lows that we had witnessed while together. He said that it was him and not me and I'm sure he meant it.

The confessions of a pair of well loved khaki trousers.

P.S: Fox was inducted into the Hall of Fame and was given an honorary discharge. Fox now leads a leisurely retired life in the wardrobe. The two of them still have a good time together every once in a while. For old times' sake.

2 comments:

  1. I remember your affair with a fish bone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good lead-on!
    Were you forced out of the liaison, I wonder? :)

    ReplyDelete