Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Reaction to fear

I took my first flight yesterday since the AirFrance Flight 447 mishap. It is a flight that I have now taken more times than I can keep track of. Yet, it was the first time that I was feeling a bit uneasy before a flight. I don't recall feeling this way even before my maiden flight. As I shoe horned myself into the economy class seat, I cast a quick glance at the aircract safety information card in the seat pouch. I'm no expert in aviation technology but somehow it was reassuring to note that it was a Boeing 777-300. And, gasp!, I even watched the flight safety video. 

During the flight, there was mild turbulence and the pilot was on the PA system, urging passengers to fasten their seat belts. Even before the message was over, there were loud clicks as nearly everyone did it in unison. My wife was extremely perturbed as my "reached-safely" call was delayed because of logistics issues and she did not have access to a TV/internet. 

A temporary phenomenon in reaction to a recent mishap - 9/11/2001, tsunami, Jaws movie, to name a few and, like everything else, will pass away over time as memories fade and other mishaps happen. But it was interesting and unnerving in equal measure to observe and be part of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment