Thursday, September 22, 2016

Indian cricket season 2016-17

I’m excited about the start of the long season ahead for cricket India. 13 home tests including the landmark 500th  for India promises good cricket based on the current team and their potential.

I like test cricket over the other formats. There is something about the whites, the blue cap, the red ball and the potential for a slow burner over five days. Sure I enjoy my cricket in colored clothes but the lure of the test is simply too strong.

I’m sure there were great wins and closely fought tests earlier too but in my eyes India in test cricket rounded a corner around the turn of this century under Sourav Ganguly. This format of the game has simply been re imagined, if that is the word. This turnaround has been made possible by a core of great players. And their biggest contribution yet is how they have inspired the current crop of not only players but also fans. And continue to be associated with the game in various roles. 

Update: I must learn to count to eleven. Perhaps from my kid. Updating the list to include eleven players instead of the original ten I had smartly come up with.

I haven’t followed cricket closely for some time now, but from my gut, this could be the best XI from the squad:

Openers: Murali Vijay and KL Rahul (I think the Shikar Dhawan experiment has run its full course after the poor man's Sehwag shine has all but worn off)

Middle order: Cheteshwar Pujara, V Kohli and A Rahane

WK: Saha

Pace: Ishant and M Shami or Buvi (It is a close call between Shami and Buvi while Umesh is still a work in progress in my eyes)

Spinners: Ashwin and Mishra or Jadeja (Somehow Mishra seems a better choice over Jadeja for his consistency and decent batting performances.)

No comments:

Post a Comment