Monday, April 4, 2016

Nouns and verbs

Alternate title: I was doing fine till education spoiled me. 

The other night, we were driving out somewhere. It was dark and we were doing good speed on the local highway, heading either home or some place I can’t remember now. The car was rather quiet with not even a song playing when my son decided it needn’t be so.

“Dad, can you do cup?” He doesn’t take after me in giving some context before shooting questions.

“What do you mean,” I asked, a bit startled at the abrupt question thrown my way.

“Can you do cup?” persisted my son, somewhat annoyed that appa couldn’t answer a simple question.

“No,” I offered, not sure what this was all about.

“That’s right! A cup is a noun.” Sounding very much like a four-year-old teacher.

“Oh! That is nice! They’re teaching you verbs and nouns, huh?” I was glad to finally see some return on investment for the money and all those early morning drop offs.

“Yes. Can you do spoon?” He was sure glad that I had latched on to the topic and wanted to provide more.

“Nooo,” I gave him an exaggerated response to keep his spirits high.

“Correct pa! Spoon is a noun too. Can you do running?”

“Yes, I can.”

“Good! Run is a verb.”

“Nice!”

“Can you do Ms. G?”

“No!” I said with as straight a face that I could manage, even as my wife sitting next to me burst out 
laughing. 

Ms. G is his teacher at school. 

“Appa? Is Ms. G a verb or a noun? Amma edhukku sirikkara?” (Why is mom laughing?)

“Ms. G is her name. Names are nouns. Amma? Nee edhukku sirikkara?” (Mom, why are you laughing?) I passed the buck to the missus and drove on. 

Nouns and verbs, ladies and gentlemen. Or as I said, return on investment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment